Friday, December 6, 2013

Chewy speculaas blondies and one of the most beautiful trailers I've ever seen

Chewy speculaas blondies / Blondies de speculaas

My sister and I love watching the trailers when we go to the movies, and after each one we turn to each other and say “yes” or “no” (if we will or will not watch that movie once it premieres). Weeks ago, on the Catching Fire session, we saw the trailer for The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and I must confess that when Ben Stiller’s face first appeared onscreen I was more than ready to say “no” – I really can’t stand his movies – but by the end of the trailer we were both enthusiastically saying “yes”. :)

One of the most beautiful trailers I’ve seen and the equally amazing music (the song has been in my head ever since) have made me want to watch a movie starring Ben Stiller – I could barely believe it. :D

It was also hard to believe I could have speculaas without all the rolling and chilling and cutting (and then more chilling) of dough – one roll out cookie in this heat is enough already. :) Edd Kimber’s blondies do deliver all the speculaas delicious flavors and with chocolate to boot – what’s not to love? :D

The blondies turned out flavorsome and thin, but to me that’s not a problem: I became fan of thin bar cookies after being introduced to Alice Medrich’s brownies.

Chewy speculaas blondies
slightly adapted from the delicious The Boy Who Bakes

½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
200g light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
125g all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
30g white chocolate, in chips or chopped
30g dark chocolate, in chips or chopped
60g almonds, lightly toasted, cooled and chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly butter a 20cm (8in) square baking pan, line it with foil leaving an overhang on two opposite sides and butter the foil as well.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over a medium high heat, add the spices and cook for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and cool. Whisk in the egg and vanilla, then fold in the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the white and dark chocolates and almonds, then pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs (like a brownie). Cool completely in the pan over a wire rack, then slice into squares to serve.

Makes 16

7 comments:

pam said...

I love chewy brownies!

Rachel @ Bakerita said...

Yum, these blondies sound absolutely delicious!! Must try.

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

I love speculaas cookies - your blondies look wonderfully chewy!

Six Bittersweets said...

I wonder if this will be the equivalent in Ben Stiller's career of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for Jim Carrey. Man I adore that movie. I wish there were more like it! I love it when comedians do something different and do it WELL!

Melissa@Julias Bookbag said...

i cannot WAIT for this movie!!!!! so excited for it!! you and I have very similar movie taste :)

Gem said...

mmm, these look similar to the White Choc Gingerbread Blondies you posted up a few years back (and that I have made dozens of times) - might have to give them a whirl!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Xiaolu, I love that movie, too! I liked Jim Carrey in "Man on the Moon" and "The Truman Show". He's such a better drama actor than a comedian!

Melissa, we do, sweetie! I love that. :D

Gem, yes, a bit similar, indeed. I hope you like these, too! xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails