Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Spice financiers to kick off the holiday recipes

Spiced financiers / Financiers de especiarias

As said a couple of posts ago, I now start my holiday recipe series 2011 – I had so much fun in the previous years making these recipes I hoped I could do it again. I thought that star-shaped financiers would be a lovely way to begin – with all those delicious spices to boot – but I’ll be honest with you: the stracciatella ice cream in my freezer is the reason why I baked the little cakes. :)

These financiers are melt-in-your-mouth tender and have a wonderful smell – not to mention they look oh, so cute. :D

Spice financiers
adapted from the gorgeous and very girlie Baking Style: Art, Craft, Recipes

1 ½ cups (210g) icing sugar, plus a little extra for serving
6 tablespoons (60g) all purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ cup (50g) almond meal (finely ground almonds)
4 large egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup (1 stick/113g) unsalted butter, melted

Sift icing sugar, all purpose flour, salt and spices into a medium bowl. Stir in the almond meal. Add the egg whites and vanilla and mix to combine. Add the butter and mix to combine. Refrigerate batter for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Lightly butter fifteen 3-tablespoon capacity silicone pans or butter and flour metal financier molds.
Divide the batter among the prepared pans and place them onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the financiers comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes then carefully unmold onto a wire rack. Cool completely.
Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Makes 15

7 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

I love anything with almond meal, and I also love normal financiers. The spices in this would make it perfect for Christmas! Lovely!

Unknown said...

How lovely!! I actually bought Almond meal, mostly because I felt I should have it on hand, not really knowing what to do with it.

This provides me a a wonderful recipe to use the neglected staple at last. These look divine and as always your photos are so pretty.

ChichaJo said...

Perfect for the start of December! I can smell them from here...MMMM! :)

Anonymous said...

These are so lovely. Financiers are so delicate. I like your pans...
Do you know how long we can store the financiers?

Laura said...

What pretty little cakes!

The Experimental Cook said...

Your blog is awesome ! I stumbled upon your blog from another link and went through pages and pages of your recipes, wanting to make everyone of them ( which I will eventually ). Thank you for sharing and being an inspiration.to wannabe bakers like me.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, there,
Keep the financiers in an airtight container, at room temperature, for up to 3 days.

Related Posts with Thumbnails