Sunday, May 15, 2011

White chocolate lime crème caramel + perfect combinations

White chocolate lime crème caramel / Pudim de chocolate branco e limão

One of the flavor combos I love the most is white chocolate paired with sour flavors like lemon, lime, orange, passion fruit – it's almost like the sweetness of the white chocolate backs up to let those flavors shine, adding a new dimension to the chocolate. Yum. :)

That reminds me of Christian Bale’s speech at the Golden Globes this year (by the way, if you haven’t seen “The Fighter” I highly recommend it) but I must admit that his speech at the Oscars – with the “F” bomb thing – is my favorite. :D

White chocolate lime crème caramel
from The Art and Soul of Baking

Custard:
2 cups (480ml) whole milk
3 tablespoons caster sugar
finely grated zest of 3 limes
3 large eggs
170g (6oz) white chocolate, finely chopped

Caramel:
½ cup (120ml) water
1 cup (200g) caster (superfine) sugar

Heat the milk, sugar and lime zest in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat, cover and let infuse for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the caramel to coat the ramekins: have ready six ¾ cup (180ml) ovenproof ramekins and a large pot of boiling water.
Pour the ½ cup water into a small saucepan and add the sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Increase to high heat and do not stir – just swirl the pan occasionally. Cook until caramel turns a deep golden color. Remove from the heat and immediately divide the caramel among the ramekins, swirling them so the caramel coats the sides as well as the bottom. Work fast before caramel hardens, but be careful to avoid burning yourself.
Preheat the oven to 165°C/325°F. Reheat the lime infused milk over medium heat until it just starts to simmer. Whisk the eggs in a medium bowl. Remove from the heat and gradually pour it over the eggs, whisking constantly. Add the chocolate and whisk until it melts completely. Strain the liquid into a jug then divide it evenly among the prepared ramekins. Place them into a baking pan and place it in the oven. Add hot water into the pan until it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until just set – do not overbake.
Carefully remove from the oven, then from the water bath and set on a wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving.
Unmold the crème-caramels into plates to serve.

Makes 6

16 comments:

Three-Cookies said...

I've never tried nor thought of pairing white chocolate with sour flavors. Chili and ginger yes, sour flavours not yet! Curious now

Dajana said...

I like that sweet-tart combo, too. I just made white chocolate icecream with raspberry swirl. And this white chocolate crème caramel sounds so good

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

I love the combination you made with white chocolate! I never make creme caramel, besides the simple way, I guess I 'm afraid of combining flavours :))) It looks stunning, with the caramel on top, yummylicious!

Sips and Spoonfuls said...

I've tried dark chocolate with citurs flavours but never white. Very unusual but yummy.

Valerie Gamine said...

Anything involving limes has me drooling! This looks so soft and rich, yet refreshing and light. :)

DessertForTwo said...

These look delicious! You got me into white chocolate + rhubarb with your muffins, so I'm so excited to try caramel + lime! Thanks for inspiring new flavor combos :)

Priya Suresh said...

Elegant and irresistible creme caramel..

Carmen said...

I’ve never had a crème caramel with flavours! ...and I would have never thought outside the box to come up with something like this! ...crème caramel, white chocolate and lime!!!...delicious!!!

YELDA said...

hımmm looks lovely, i like it:)

Taz said...

Mm, I've made this recipe too and I can definitely vouch for it. It's so tasty!

BP said...

Goodness! This looks delish! :D

Aurora said...

Well, it seems like I have a home work to do, as it comes to the movie, as it comes to baking ;-P

ChichaJo said...

I have not been such a big fan of white chocolate because of it's sweetness but your pairing it with tart flavors is making me reconsider!

Luv'n Spoonfuls said...

Can NOT wait to try these...a perfect recipe to welcome in spring. I've never made a creme caramel, but you have inspired me and the thorough instructions are giving me confidence! I don't know how you do it Patricia, week after week, but just keep on doin' it! ;p

Becca@Butteraneggs said...

I actually have tons of lime zest I need to use so this will be perfect!

Sarah said...

I have paired white chocolate with tart raspberries, but never lime. What a lovely summer dessert!

Related Posts with Thumbnails