Saturday, March 5, 2011

Buttered rum meltaways

Buttered rum meltaways / Amanteigados de rum

One of my readers – hi, Angelica! – left me a comment about the amount of recipes calling for rum around here – there’s another one today!
I don’t like rum for drinking, but I certainly love baking with it – and if you try these cookies I am sure you will, too. :)

I’ve slightly adapted the recipe from Lizzie, who got it from a book I’ve been meaning to buy.

Buttered rum meltaways
from Martha Stewart's Cookies

1 ¾ cups + 2 tablespoons (265g) all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup (140g) confectioners' sugar, sifted*
¼ cup (60ml) dark rum
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Whisk flour, cornstarch, spices, and salt in a bowl. Put butter and 2/3 cup (93g) of the confectioners’ sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until creamy. Mix in rum and vanilla. Reduce speed to low, and gradually mix in flour mixture.
Divide dough in half. Place each on a piece of parchment paper; shape dough into logs. Fold parchment over dough; using a ruler, roll and press into a 3cm (1 ¼in) log – like Martha does here. Wrap in parchment. Chill in freezer 30 minutes (up to 1 month).
Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Unwrap logs. Cut into 6mm (¼in) thick rounds; space 2.5cm (1in) apart onto prepared sheets. Bake until just golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool 10 minutes. Place remaining sugar in a bowl and gently toss warm cookies in it.
Store cookies in airtight containers at room temperature for up to 4 days.

Makes about 4 dozen – I halved the recipe and got exact 2 dozen cookies

6 comments:

Heather Baird said...

Oh, I bet those are so heavenly!

Maria said...

Such an interesting recipe! I couldn't drink rum either, but I could definitely have these cookies!

Alina---Explora Cuisine said...

I love the flower next to the cookies!

Maja said...

Love them! They look so soft & heavently :)
Love your photos!

susan said...

rum + sugar + butter. These get my vote! I have everything in the house to make these and I owe someone a batch of cookies...hmmm! Thanks, P for yet another fabulous cookie idea!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Sprinkle Bakes, thank you!

Maria, thank you! I am sure you would love these, sweetie!

Explora Cuisine, thank you for stopping by!

Maja, thank you for stopping by!

Suz, the spices go so well with the rum! These are addictive. Thank you, my dear friend!
xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails