Friday, January 7, 2011

Peach frozen yogurt

Peach frozen yogurt / Frozen yogurt de pêssego

A bowl of beautiful, ripe peaches was the beginning of this recipe, but my first idea was making the peach ice cream from the same book this frozen yogurt came from; I changed my mind after considering that using yogurt instead of cream would allow me to eat more dessert – talk about fat thoughts. :)

Peach frozen yogurt
from The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments

675g (1 ½ oz) ripe peaches (about 5 large peaches)
½ cup (120ml) water
¾ cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar*
1 cup (260g) plain whole-milk yogurt
a few drops of freshly squeezed lemon juice

Peel the peaches: cut an X at the bottom of each peach and lower them in a pot of boiling water for about 20 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the peaches to a colander and refresh with cold water – the peels will slip right off.
Slice the peaches in half, remove the pits and cut into chunks. Cook them with the water in a medium, nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until soft and cooked thought, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the sugar, then chill in the refrigerator.
Purée the peach mixture in a food processor or blender with the yogurt until almost smooth but still slightly chunky. Mix in the lemon juice. Freeze the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

* I suggest adding less sugar and taste – mine was a bit too sweet

Makes about 3 cups

12 comments:

WendyinKK said...

I just bought peaches yesterday!!!!
You always seem to read my mind. LOL.

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen said...

My favorite ice cream book! I like making frozen yogurt because it feels like I'm being healthier than when I make ice cream :-D

Sara said...

Mmmm, this looks really refreshing and tasty! :)

ChichaJo said...

This looks perfect for my tropical weather! :)

Sarah said...

Despite it being the middle of winter here, and with the snow falling madly outside, it is still so hot in my apartment (the building controls the heat not us). This sounds like the perfect escape from the heat!

Gaëlle said...

Très chouette!

J'en veux! :-)

Priya Suresh said...

Gorgeous and great looking frozen yogurt..

Lauren said...

I'm saving this recipe for the summer!

Jenn said...

This sounds delicious and refreshing!

Nam @ The Culinary Chronicles said...

Looks Yummy! And what cute tea cups! :)

j. said...

If only it was peach season already and I could make some frozen peach yoghurt..well, I just have to be patient and wait another couple of months I guess...

Jess said...

Mmm! Looks awesome. My new thing is frozen yogurt.
Jess : )

Related Posts with Thumbnails