Thursday, October 28, 2010

Vanilla cheesecake with blueberry lemon sauce

Vanilla cheesecake with blueberry lemon sauce / Cheesecake de baunilha com calda de mirtilo e limão siciliano

I told you I had an addiction – if you did not believe me then, you might start believing me now. :D

There is one thing different, however: this time I went for blueberries instead of blackberries, as in Natalie’s recipe. Just don’t ask me which one I like more – you know I have trouble picking favorites. :D

Vanilla cheesecake with blueberry lemon sauce
from Donna Hay magazine and here

Base:
125g digestive/shortbread cookies – I used these, Ana’s suggestion
½ cup (50g) almond meal (ground almonds)
3 tablespoons (42g) unsalted butter, melted

Cheesecake:
370g ricotta
370g cream cheese
1 1/3 cups (267g) caster sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Blueberry lemon syrup:
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
¾ cup (150g) caster sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
3 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup (60ml) water
1 tablespoon corn starch

Preheat the oven to 140°C/285°F.
Make the base: process cookies in a food processor until crushed. Add the almond meal and butter and process until combined. Grease a round 22cm springform pan*. Press the crumb mix over the base and refrigerate.
Place the ricotta and cream cheese in a food processor and process until smooth. Add the sugar, eggs and vanilla and process until combined and smooth. Pour the mixture over the base and bake for 55-60 minutes or until set.
In the meantime, make the sauce: combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and juice in a non-reactive saucepan. Whisk together the water and cornstarch in a small bowl and add to the saucepan. Turn the heat on to medium and let simmer until thickened, about 10 – 12 minutes – while the mixture is simmering, squash the berries with a fork. Let cool completely.
Remove the cheesecake from the oven and allow to cool in the pan. Serve with the sauce.

* I made 2/3 of the recipe above (for the base and cheesecake) and used a loose-bottomed 20cm (8in) round cake pan

Serves 8-10

17 comments:

matt gordon said...

its only morning here in central ohio, and now i want dessert. what a great flavor profile, blueberry and lemons

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! I love blueberry and lemon together!

My favorite cheesecake to date is a spiced pumpkin bourbon cheesecake: http://darbyoshea.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/spice-season-opening/

You should give it a try!

Bakericious said...

I love cheesecake, this looks so salivating!

Anonymous said...

Blueberry and Lemon. That would make a very refreshing combination. This cheesecake looks and sounds amazing!

Karen said...

Mmmmm...cheesecake! Love the combination of the cake with the blueberry sauce. Looks great as usual! :-)

Anonymous said...

Looks great!
I wanted to know if you get your DH mags ok through subscription, I wanted to subscribe from Argentina but I'm a bit afraid , am I being too silly? thanks!

Priya Suresh said...

Cant take my eyes from the click, super tempting cheesecake..

Jennifer said...

SO pretty and I love the sauce!

Artemis Tsipi said...

Hello Patricia,
I am a great Greek fan of you and of your sweet and savory days for a long time! I contact you because I wanted to inform you about the bilingual (greek-english)food blog that I just made myself called Wonderfoodland! I would be glad if you would find the chance and visit me!
Keep on doing this great job that we all love!

Unknown said...

omg this look soooooo pretty. i like the fact you didn't go too nuts on the butter. gorgeous picture.

Yours Truly said...

looks perfect and love the blueberry sauce drizzled on top! heaven on a plate =)

Bakeolicious said...

Fantastic cheesecake recipe. I love the blueberry sauce drizzled over the top.

I’d love for you to submit one of your beautiful photos, and a link to your post, to my new baking photo gallery showcasing the best baking, sweets and desserts on the web.

lavantalimon said...

very nice:))

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Wow I'm impressed with your perfect slices, Patricia. That sauce is making me wanna lick the screen.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Matt, tks for stopping by!

Darby, thank you for the link!

Jess, thank you!

Crustabakes, that sauce is so good, I highly recommend it!
Thank you!

Karen, thank you!

Hey, Anonymous - I've been a subscriber since 2006 without any problems. The magazines just take a while to arrive, since they come from the other side of the world. :D
Go ahead!

Priya, you are just too sweet! Thank you!
xx

Jen, thank you! That sauce is divine.

Hi, Artemis! You were named after a goddess, how cool! :D I'll be visiting you! Good luck with your blog!

Honey, thank you for stopping by!

Tamanna, thank you!

Bakeolicious, thank you!

Lavantalimon, thank you!

Xiaolu, you are just too sweet, my dear! Thank you!
xx

Artemis Tsipi said...

Thank you Patricia!
Keep food-walking!

Laura (Tutti Dolci) said...

Oh my goodness, that blueberry sauce! Drooling!

Related Posts with Thumbnails