Monday, October 18, 2010

Lemon frangipane tart

Lemon frangipane tart / Torta de frangipane e limão siciliano

There’ someone you all know that is so obsessed with lemons that when she’s not making lemon cookies or lemon cakes there’s a lemon tart coming out of her oven. :D

Maybe because I am crazy for lemons I did not think this tart was lemony enough, but a friend of mine loved it and felt the lemon flavor even though I did not tell her there was any in the dessert. Now it’s up to you: if you’re like me, add a little lemon zest in the filling as well. ;)

Lemon frangipane tart
from Donna Hay magazine

Pastry:
1 ½ cups + 1 ½ tablespoons (225g) all purpose flour
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (127g) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (78g) icing sugar
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon iced water

Filling:
100g unsalted butter, softened
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (112g) caster sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 ¼ cups (125g) almond meal (finely ground almonds)
¼ cup (35g) all purpose flour
¼ cup flaked almonds

Place the flour, butter, sugar, salt and zest in the bowl of a food processor. Process in short bursts until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
While the motor is running, add the egg yolks and water. Process just until the dough comes together. Turn dough into a lightly floured surface and gently bring together to form a ball. Using your hands, flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Roll dough between two sheets of lightly floured baking paper – if dough gets too soft, refrigerate for 5 minutes. Line a lightly buttered 22cm loose-bottomed tart pan with the pastry. Trim edges with a knife and prick the base with a fork. Freeze for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line the pastry with a piece of buttered foil and fill with baking weights/dried beans. Bake for 15 minutes, carefully remove the weights/beans and the foil, then bake for another 10 minutes or until the pastry is light golden.
Make the filling: place the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Gradually add the egg and egg yolk and beat until smooth. Stir through the almond meal and flour until well combined. Spoon mixture into pastry case and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the almonds and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the filling has puffed and turned golden. Allow to cool in the pan.

Serves 6-8 – I made 2/3 of the recipe above and used a 30x10cm (12x4in) pan

18 comments:

cocoa and coconut said...

You may be crazy for lemons, well..I'm crazy for tarts..so this satisfies things for both of us!! I love the nuts on this and citrus and frangipane go together beautifully. Thanks for sharing

Satya said...

tart looks wonderful n i love the ingredients u used for this ..yummy

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

lena said...

this looks lovely..and the ingredients seems simple too..i have very little experience in making tarts..well, looking at this somehow motivate me to start baking some tarts. Thanks for sharing this.

Priya Suresh said...

Gorgeous looking tart..

Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipes

Abby said...

So very pretty! Makes me want a slice and a dainty cup of coffee.

LimeCake said...

i love frangipane tarts! and lemon goes so well with almonds! yum!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I could not resist that beautiful treat.

Patty said...

Awesome tart - beautiful setting!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I'm right with you. I usually find lemon-flavored desserts not intense and sour enough. Still, this looks like it'd be lovely with a cup of tea.

The Urban Baker said...

another piece of perfection has emerged from your kitchen, patricia! you are something else! i love following you around this virtual universe! xx

MMM said...

looks so tasty!! love it=)
and great blog too...! we are your newest followers!
have a look at
www.modemuffins.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I want the tarte pan, it's lovely! http://ilpomodorosso.blogspot.com/

Viv said...

now i want to buy a pan like that just so i can make lemon tart. im a huge fan of anything lemony myself ;) great photo!

Karen said...

This looks so fresh and lovely! Lemons are so versatile and great in sweet and savory treats. Love the flaked almonds on top. :-)

naomi {@bakersroyale} said...

Hey, I'm lov'n all the lemon recipes, so I'm going to selfishly say-Have it!

This looks beautiful.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Brittany, come on over, let's bake a tart together! ;)
Thank you!

Satya, thank you!

Lena, thank you! I wasn't much of a tart baker myself, but now I love making them.

Pryia, thank you!

Abby, thank you! It goes well with tea, too. ;)

LimeCake, frangipane goes really well with strawberries, too! :D Thank you!

Helene, I wish I could share it with you! Thank you!

Hey, beautiful! Thank you!

Xiaolu, Alice Medrich's lemon lime bars were very sour, just the way I like it! I bet you would love them, too!
xx

Susan, you are far too kind, my dear! xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

MMM, thank you for stopping by! And for becoming a follower! ;)

Cleare, thank you! I have got to use it more often.

Vivienne, thank you! Lemons are just wonderful, don't you think? :D

Karen, thank you! I agree with you - they are so versatile and go really well in both savory and sweet recipes.

Naomi, thank you! I hope you like it! I would sure trade a slice of this tart for one of those beautiful mini cakes you made... ;)

Amy said...

Hi Patricia. I have just discovered your blog via Hungry Girl Por Vida (one of my favourites) and I am enjoying looking through it. This caught my eye as I love frangipane and wanted to see if this was similar to my version. A little tip for you, which is what I do - spread a layer of lemon curd (homemade or from a jar) over the base, as you do with your Dan Lepard Apple and Berry almond tart. This might give you the lemon hit you are after! It seems strange to me just putting the lemon flavour in the pastry, as I too am a lemon freak! I have also done with this grapefruit marmalade, and I am sure it would work with lime marmalade too, and lemon marmalade, if there is such a thing (I expect so, but I have not ever bought it).

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, Amy!
I'm glad you're enjoying the blog! :)
I absolutely love the idea of spreading lemon curd on the tart base - delicious!
The lemon in the pastry actually works quite well, I just think it needed more zest.
xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails