Monday, October 11, 2010

Jam swirled muffins

Jam swirled muffins / Muffins mesclados com geléia

There’s something you need to know: I’m addicted to the blackberry lemon jam used in this ice cream recipe – I’ve eaten it with crackers, poured over panna cotta... I just can’t get enough of it.

I thought the jam would go wonderfully mixed in muffin batter – I don’t mean to sound pretentious, but I was right. :D

Jam swirled muffins
adapted from Dorie's lemon poppy seed muffins

2/3 cup (133g) caster sugar
2 cups (280g) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup plain yogurt or sour cream
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ cup (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2/3 cup jam of your choice – if too thick, thin it with a little lemon juice (I used this recipe)

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F; butter or spray 12 regular size muffin pans.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add sugar and mix. In a large glass measuring cup or small bowl whisk together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla and melted butter until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk lightly with a fork – do not overmix the batter, otherwise you’ll end up with tough muffins. Add the jam and whisk lightly, to keep the marbled effect. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans.
Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted in the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack, cool 5 minutes, then carefully unmold. Let cool completely on the wire rack.

Makes 12 – I halved the recipe, used 1/3 cup (80ml) capacity pans and got 8 muffins

15 comments:

Sara said...

Ooooh, these look fantastic for breakfast! I haven't made muffins in a long time - need to bake some!

Unknown said...

Oh yum, jam in things is awesome and these are really pretty to boot

Rachel said...

What beautiful muffins! Blackberry lemon jam does sound rather addictive!

Bakericious said...

looks delicious, I like the beautiful top.

Abby said...

I love blackberries pretty much any way you can fix them! Lovely muffins!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed said...

Hehe, not pretentious! Just incredibly intelligent :P I would like one of these right now, please!
Heidi xo

Abigail said...

What a fantastic and creative way to use jam! I wonder if you could do a similar thing with apple or pumpkin butter. Clearly I am pretty preoccupied with autumn.

Priya Suresh said...

Cute and gorgeous muffins..

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I will take jam anything and everything. Great-lookin muffins.

Katie said...

Yum and so pretty. Self decorating muffins!!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Sara, thank you for stopping by!

Jennifurla, thank you! I love jam in just about anything, too.

Rachel, thank you! I love anything berry and lemon. :D

Jess, thank you!

Abby, me too, sweetie! :D
Thank you!
xx

Heidi, thank you, darling! I'm glad you like them!
xx

Abigail, thank you for stopping by! Although it is spring here, I do love anything fall. :D

Priya, thank you!

Xiaolu, thank you, sweetie! I love jam in just about anything, too. :D
xx

Katie, thank you! I guess you're right! :D

eatme_delicious said...

I've never thought to swirl jam into muffin batter like that! I love how it looks.

fabricyoyoqueen said...

I tried this recipe yesterday and it turned out great! Thanks for sharing. :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Ashley, thank you! I'm sure you would like these.

Hey, queen! Thank YOU for letting me know how they turned out!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, that jam does sound great! I want some on a scone! Or maybe swirled into a scone.

Related Posts with Thumbnails