Saturday, October 30, 2010

Chocolate chip coconut cookies

Chocolate chip coconut cookies / Cookies com gotas de chocolate e coco

I once told you how much I love hopping from one link to another, then another, and another... I still do that a lot – old habits do die hard, I guess. :D

I needed to finish up a bag of shredded coconut – impulsive purchasing, anyone? – and my much beloved Food Blog Search got me here, then Memoria got me here... And Sheena’s recipe ended up in my oven.

These cookies are delicious and were a hit at Joao’s work – I hope you give them a try!

Chocolate chip coconut cookies

½ cup (113g/1 stick) of unsalted butter, room temperature
¼ cup (50g) granulated sugar
¾ cup (131g) light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups (210g) all purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups (150g) shredded sweetened coconut
225g (½ lb) dark chocolate chips/chunks

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Cream the butter and the sugars until light and creamy, but not fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Continue mixing while adding the egg - make sure it is incorporated. Add the vanilla. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula again. Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl. With a whisk, stir to combine. With the machine on low, slowly add the flour. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix. With a spatula fold in the chocolate and coconut.
Roll 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of dough into a ball, place onto prepared sheets 5cm (2in) apart, then slightly press each dough ball down with your hand.
Bake for 11-13 minutes or until lightly golden on the outside but still look gooey on the inside.

Makes about 45

16 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious combination

WendyinKK said...

I also need to get rid of my sweetened coconut shreds, and I do hope that I'll make this.

Anonymous said...

Coconut shred in cookies! that is sounding delish!

Priya Suresh said...

Beautiful looking cookies..

Ash said...

ah, love this combo!!

Bakericious said...

I know I am going to love these cookies by looking at the name :)

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh ur goodies are always super delish and excitingly fantastic!!
Love them!!!
ur pics are gorgeous too!!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Coconut sounds like a great idea for texture and taste. How yummy.

Sips and Spoonfuls said...

I don't have any coconut....but I think I'm going out to buy some NOW....these look delicious.

Viv said...

Yummy...i was soo craving for cookies tonight and was about to go make some when i realised i dont have a hand mixer as I've just moved :(
good to hear that you got to finish up on your bag of coconuts (i love cleaning up my pantry liek that too!) and discovered those delicious cookies!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Torview..., thank you! I love coconut and chocolate together.

Wendy, I hope you like it!

Crustabakes, thank you! :D

Priya, thank you!

Ash, me too! Thank you!

Jess, I hope you give it a try, sweetie!

Sugar Plum Fairy, thank you for stopping by! You're far too kind.
xx

Xiaolu, it adds a nice touch, indeed, without overpowering the cookies. Thank you!

Lick My Spoon, I hope you like these! Tks!

Vivienne, oh! :(
I hope you get a mixer soon - I cannot live without mine. ;D
Thank you!
xx

Sally - My Custard Pie said...

The only chocolate chip cookies that would last in our house...I'm the only one who likes coconut. I'll have to make a different kind for the teens and hub.

Patty said...

They look absolutely lovely! I love Sheena's cookies too - we featured that recipe on BH as well. :)

If you still have more coconut, it tastes very good in granola...

eatme_delicious said...

I loooove coconut! I don't think I've ever had coconut chocolate chip cookies. I've had them with oatmeal but never just coconut and chocolate.. sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

I just made these and they are soooo yummy! Great recipe and great and I love the coconut/choc chip combo... these won't last long!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Hey, anonymous! Thank you for letting me know how the recipe turned out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails