Monday, June 21, 2010

Lemon cream éclairs

Lemon cream éclairs / Éclairs de limão siciliano

Do you remember my complaining about the eggy smell on my profiteroles? As I wrote on that post, I tried adding vanilla extract to choux pastry and I think it worked well!

Since I’d already made profiteroles, I used the pastry to make éclairs this time – and you can blame the lemon filling on me. ;)

Lemon cream éclairs / Éclairs de limão siciliano

Lemon cream éclairs
from Australian Gourmet Traveller

Choux pastry:
½ cup (120ml) water
3 ½ tablespoons (50g) unsalted butter
½ cup + ½ tablespoon (75g) all purpose flour
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Filling:
½ cup (120ml) whipping cream, chilled
½ cup lemon curd*
icing sugar, for dusting

Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Place the water and butter in a medium saucepan over high heat and cook until butter is melted and the mixture is boiling. Add the flour and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Cook, stirring over low heat, until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan. Remove from heat and place in an electric mixer. Gradually add the eggs, beating well between each addition, until well combined – you might not need to add all the third egg - lightly beat the last egg and add it gradually to the mixture. Add the vanilla and mix well.
Spoon the mixture into a piping bag with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe 5cm (2in) lengths onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until puffed and deep golden. Cool on wire racks. Carefully peel off each éclair from the baking paper.
Place cream in a medium bowl and whip until firm peaks form. Gently fold in the lemon curd. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a small nozzle.
Cut the éclairs in half horizontally and fill with the lemon cream. Dust with icing sugar to serve.

* 1/3 of the lemon curd recipe on this post yields ½ cup – the only thing I did differently was adding finely grated lemon zest after passing the curd through a sieve

Makes about 40

11 comments:

sucre en poudre said...

so cute!

my little expat kitchen said...

These look amazing. Who doesn't love eclairs? I know I do. I usually prefer the chocolate ones but these will work just as well. Lemony and fresh.
Magda

Mary said...

Yum! I much prefer lemon to chocolate, so these look and sound perfect to me!

Taz said...

yum, eclairs are one of my favourite things! The lemon filling sounds delicious.

Anonymous said...

Adorable little bites of lemony goodness! :)

Unknown said...

I would love to have one of these eclairs...

Aaron John said...

Yum!! Super simple ingredients but looks fancy!!

Would you mind checking out my blog? :D
http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

Peabody said...

A nice change from the usual chocolate ones.

tiina { sparkling ink } said...

These sound like the perfect thing to have with a summery coffee moment at the cottage. I love the use of lemon curd in this. And once again, love your photographs, Patricia!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Iza, thank you!

Magda, thank you! My hubby prefer the ones filled with dulce de leche and topped with chocolate. :)

Mary, thank you! I'll choose lemon over chocolate anytime, too! :)

Taz, thank you! And it's a Donna Hay recipe - always a plus. :)

Michelle, thank you, sweetie!

Jennifurla, come on over! I'll bake some for you, sweetie! :)

AJ, tks.

Pea, I thought so, too, dearie. :)

Tiina, thank you! I'm so glad you like these, sweetie!
xx

The Urban Baker said...

These are gorgeous...where do you find the time? Don't be shocked if I show up on your doorstep one day! xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails