Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fruit crumble cake and a big thank you

Fruit crumble cake / Bolo de crumble de frutas

The list of the Saveur’s Food Blog Awards’ winners has been published – congratulations to all the winners!

Technicolor Kitchen did not win as best baking and desserts blog but I want to thank you all for your votes and support – I deeply appreciate it. And I’d also like to tell you that award or no award the sweet recipes will continue to flow around here – like this delicious and tender crumble cake.

Fruit crumble cake / Bolo de crumble de frutas

Fruit crumble cake
adapted from Modern Classics 2

¾ cup + 1 tablespoon (184g) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/3 cups + ½ tablespoon (272g) caster sugar
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
3 eggs
2 1/3 cups + 1 tablespoon (337g) all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
pinch of salt
¼ cup (60ml) whole milk
5 plums, stoned and thinly sliced
5 apricots, stoned and thinly sliced
caster sugar, extra, for sprinkling

Crumble topping:
1/3 cup + ½ tablespoon (51g) all purpose flour
1 ½ tablespoons caster sugar
2 ½ tablespoons (35g) cold unsalted butter, chopped

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Butter a 20x30cm (8x12in) baking pan and line with baking paper – butter the paper as well.
Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift the flour and baking powder over the mixture, add the milk and beat in low speed until combined. Spoon the mixture onto prepared pan, arrange the fruit over the top and sprinkle with the extra sugar.
To make the crumble topping, place the flour, sugar and butter in a bowl and rub with your fingertips until fine crumbs form. Scatter over the fruit.
Bake for 50 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.

Serves 10 – I made 2/3 of the recipe above, used a 20cm square pan and replaced the plums and apricots for 2 nectarines and 270g frozen cherries (thawed)

21 comments:

pam said...

You deserve to win in my book! Lovely cake, as always!

WendyinKK said...

Lovely... Some vanilla ice cream will be great with this

Paula said...

I love crumbles! this looks awesome and so delicious!

Crepes of Wrath said...

This looks to die for! I need to pick up some fruit!

ICook4Fun said...

I am a bit dissapointed that you didn't win as in my book your blog is the best! This is such a lovely cake. I am going to bake it this week.

Kman said...

i love crumbles.. this looks amazing and so easy to make. love the combination of druit

Recipeman said...

i have to get some fruit.. this looks great

Kathy said...

yummy! I love crumble :) and the combination of the color on top are very nice, looking very delicious, great to have it for desserts! thanks.

Unknown said...

Award or not you are still one of my favourites.

Valen said...

What a beautiful blog you have! And what a cake!

Julie said...

Looks so delicious! I love your profile pic :)

Lisa said...

You have a gorgeous blog Patricia! Wonderful cake!

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

You're a winner in my book Patricia! These looks divine -beautiful styling too :)

Patricia Scarpin said...

Pam, you are just too sweet, my dear!
xoxo

Wendy, you are so right. ;)

Paula, thank you! I happen to love crumbles, too, and loved making it in form of a cake!

Crepes of Wrath, thank you for stopping by!

ICook4Fun, thank you so much for your kind words, they made my day. ;)
Let me know how the cake turns out if you bake it, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

Kman, thank you for visiting! I love crumble, too - they're so homey and comforting!

Recipeman, thank you for stopping by!

Kathy, thank you for visiting! I loved the color combo, too - I'm glad you did!

Wizzy, and you are one of mine. ;)
xx

Valen, thank you for visiting and for your kind words!

Julie, thank you for stopping by! I'm a Calvin & Hobbes addict. ;)

Lisa, thank you! So is yours, my dear!
xx

Lorraine, you are far too kind, my darling! Thank you!
xx

Future Grown-Up said...

I have always loved your blog and drool over it regularly. Everything is always so yummy. Truthfully, your blog is what my blog wants to be when it grows up and becomes an adult :)

That said, I agree with Pam. You are a winner in my book as well.

Tv Food and Drink said...

Can I make this? I'm nervous that I can't, but I will give it a shot. Oy!

Elana said...

Everything on your blog is absolutely adorable. I keep saying "Awwww!" everytime I read a post.

I made this recipe in my Staub mini cocottes and they turned out really nice. Thanks for all the great ideas

Yummy Bakes said...

Beautiful cake and yummy

Patricia Scarpin said...

Future Grown-Up, you are far too sweet - thank you! My readers mean the world to me and they're the reason why I love blogging so much.

Gary, I hope you like it!

Yummy Koh, thank you!

carisnell said...

Patricia,
What a beautiful and tasty looking cake! Even if you didn't win, it sure looks like a winner! I'd love to feature it on my site, www.canigettherecipe.com with full credits and links back to you if you are keen. You can contact me at carisnell(at)shaw.ca to let me know!

Pemberehber said...

Looks delicious. I'll try your recipe,but I will use fresh peach (combined with some corn starch and sugar.) I hope that will delicious too. Thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails