Friday, April 2, 2010

Cherry chocolate chippers

Cherry chocolate chippers / Cookies de chocolate amargo e cerejas secas

I always find it sad when a magazine stops being published – I think of all the people that might be out of work and that breaks my heart...

This recipe comes from Gourmet’s website – it’s a shame the magazine is gone, but at least there’s some really good online material for nostalgic days.

Cherry chocolate chippers / Cookies de chocolate amargo e cerejas secas

Cherry chocolate chippers
from here

2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
170g (1 ½ sticks) unsalted butter, softened
½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
¾ cup (132g) packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
336g (12oz) dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids) chunks
1 cup (145g) dried tart cherries

Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer until blended and add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, and vanilla. Beat in flour mixture on low speed until blended well, then mix in chocolate chips and cherries with a wooden spoon.

Put 1 leveled tablespoon of dough 3.75cm (1 ½ in) apart on prepared sheets and bake in batches in middle of oven until golden around edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on sheets 2 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.

Makes 5 dozen – I halved the recipe above and got 28 cookies

8 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

Cherries & Chocolate are a perfect marriage in my book. Your cookies look simply delectable, Patricia. I love the addition of cinnamon. Perhaps, I should have added a tinge in the Black Forest Cake I baked the other day.

Thank you so much for sharing...

Tv Food and Drink said...

I agree with Louise. These look delicious. I'm going to make them this weekend but I'm gonna dry the cherries myself because I just can't do anything the easy way.

Abby said...

I love cherry and chocolate together. These look great for an afternoon snack!

ChichaJo said...

I have never actually had cherries and chocolate together despite them being a popular combination...I think I should change that soon!

Katie said...

These look yummy. I love the combo of cherry and chocolate

Manggy said...

I'm a huge fan of chocolate and dried fruit :) I'll be sure to make these when I'm fortunate enough to come across dried cherries! :)

Julia @Mélanger said...

I agree, it's such a shame that Gourmet is no longer, but lots of recipes still going around that us avid cooks and bakers will continue to make. Like this one. Love cherry and chocolate!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Louise, thank you! That cake of yours sounds so yummy, I bet it was delicious!

Gary, thank you! Hope you like the recipe.

Abby, they are wonderful together, indeed! Thank you!

Joey, they go so well together, I bet you'll love it!

Katie, thank you! I love dried cherries, I keep on snacking on them while baking. :)

Mark, they are impossible to find here, either, but I have a secret stash. :)

Julia, thank you, sweetie! Lucky for us to have all those wonderful recipes still around.

Related Posts with Thumbnails