Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Banana butterscotch pudding

Banana butterscotch pudding / Sobremesa de banana e caramelo

I’m here today on a very special mission: I must convince you, my dear readers, to make this dessert next time you see a very ripe, freckled banana hanging around.

Banana bread is delicious, and so are banana cakes and cookies, but hear me when I say you’ll be an extremely happier person once you’ve tasted this pudding. Did I mention there’s caramel sauce involved? Oh, yes, there is. Plenty of it. Yum.

Mission accomplished. :D

Banana butterscotch pudding / Sobremesa de banana e caramelo

Banana butterscotch pudding
from Simply Bill

¾ cup + 2 tablespoons (125g) all purpose flour
pinch of salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup + 1 tablespoon (112g) caster sugar
1 banana, mashed
1 cup (240ml) milk
6 tablespoons (84g) unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping:
¾ cup + 1 tablespoon (140g) brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons golden syrup – I used corn syrup
1 cup (240ml) boiling water

Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a medium bowl; add sugar and mix.
Add the banana milk, butter, egg and vanilla extract and whisk together until well combined.
Pour into a greased 2-liter baking dish.

Topping: mix the brown sugar, golden syrup and water in a small pan and bring to a boil (give it a stir so sugar is dissolved).
Pour the boiling mixture carefully over the pudding, place the baking dish inside a baking sheet then bake for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through when tested with a skewer.

Serve with vanilla ice cream – I served with yogurt and its tang flavor matched the sweet caramel wonderfully!

Serves 4 – I think it definitely serves 6

19 comments:

Rose said...

Oh wow! I am convinced! Bananas? Butterscotch?! Done!! Great post/pics, can't wait to make it!

anna said...

That sounds soooo awesome! Bananas rule and go so well with buttery, caramelly things. Bookmarking this!

Snooky doodle said...

I m drooling. This must be so good. Glad I ve got some frozen bananas .

Memória said...

Woah! This post is a few hours too late! Darn! I wish I would have seen this yesterday. It looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I am ALWAYS on the lookout for new ways to use aging bananas. This is SO going into the queue!

Maybe said...

You reached your goal with me ! I usually make banana-rhum-coco compote(or do you say stew ? sauce ?) when I have very ripe bananas but I'll try your recipe next time !

Andrea Vaccaro said...

Dear Patricia,

we would like to check with you the receiving of the email i've send to you on the July 1st and on the July 9th to your UOL account.

In each case can you contact us to this email a.vaccaro@adhoc-culture.com so we can get to you all the informations.

Thanks for your kind answer.
Mr. Andrea Vaccaro
ADHOC Culture srl

eatme_delicious said...

I'm convinced! This looks insanely delicious.

ChichaJo said...

Mission accomplished! I am totally convinced I should make this! :)

vicky said...

This looks really yummy. I must try and make it!

Aimée said...

Yeah, our bananas are always turning brown before we can eat them up. This looks just too good to be true! Surely the boys will go bananas over it! :)

Ina said...

Hi Patricia, you have an amazing blog and I just love all the recipes you post. As suggested by you I will be making this pudding tomorrow as a treat for my little brothers. However where I live we don’t get any corn syrup or golden syrup or maple syrup. Would it be fine if I substitute the syrup with Honey? Or perhaps I should use a different recipe for caramel?

Julia @ Mélanger said...

Patricia - just lovely. I often have bananas on hand that are too ripe to eat. Typically I turn to banana bread. Given it is winter here now, this is perfect. It is now book-marked! :)

A Bikini Diary said...

I love this!! I need to try it for sure, saving!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Rose, thank you! Hope you try it!

Anna, I agree with you, bananas are fabulous!
Thank you!

Natalie, and it's so easy to put together!
Tks!

Memória, I have a blog in Portuguese, if you are interested. ;)
Thank you!

Michelle, and I hope you like it, darling!

Maybe, yay! I'm glad I convinced you, sweetie! :D

Andrea, I have received it and will get back to you asap.

Ashley, thank you, darling!

Joey, yay!! :D
xx

Vicky, tks for visiting! Let me know you thoughts when you make it?

Aimée, if the boys like it, I'm glad! ;)

Ina, thank you for stopping by, I'm glad to know you like the blog! I'm not sure how it would work with honey, to be honest... I have substituted honey for corn syrup in baking a couple of times, but not for syrups like this one here. Sorry I can't help you. :(

Julia, I'm so glad you like it! Thank you!

Jenny, tks for visiting! I hope you give it a go!

Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful! I just stumbled into this blog and am so thrilled at my luck. Can't wait to bake the Dulce de Leche cake.

rain.drop said...

That not only sounds awesome, but also tastes as well. Thank you for this yummy recipe. It was delicious with whipped cream :)

Anonymous said...

Yummmmmiiiiii these are mindblowing.

Merry

Free Direct TV

test it comm said...

That pudding sounds so good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails