Monday, June 1, 2009

Spinach soup with creamy potato mustard mash

Spinach soup with creamy mustard potato mash / Sopa de espinafre com purê de batata e mostarda

After watching “The Wrestler” I could not bring myself to stop singing “Sweet Child O’ Mine” - and now it is impossible for me to think about the song without thinking about the movie as well.
When I think of vegetables, I’m automatically reminded of Ana Elisa and her amazing salad and soup recipes, among other delicious treats.

I slightly adapted this soup from DH mag #38, but Ana was the inspiration for me to prepare it.

Spinach soup with creamy mustard potato mash / Sopa de espinafre com purê de batata e mostarda

Spinach soup with creamy potato mustard mash
from Donna Hay magazine

Mash:
2kg sebago (floury) potatoes, peeled and chopped
50g butter
¾ cup (180ml) whole milk
4 tablespoons Dijon mustard
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Soup:
100g butter
2 onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 x 500g bunches English spinach, trimmed, washed and chopped
¼ cup parsley leaves
5 cups (1.2l) vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Start with the mash: place the potatoes in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to the saucepan. Add butter, milk, mustard, salt and pepper and mash until smooth. Set aside and keep warm.

Now, the soup: heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 10 minutes or until just golden, add spinach and parsley and cook for 5 minutes or until wilted. Add stock and cook for another 5 minutes. Place in a food processor/blender and process until smooth – be careful since the mixture will be very hot.
Stir through salt and pepper.
Place spoonfuls of the mash in the base of bowls, pour over the soup and serve.

Serves 4

12 comments:

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Oh, didn't you love The Wrestler? I thought it was terrific. Maybe I'll make a batch of this soup and enjoy it while I watch the movie again!

eatme_delicious said...

I've never seen a soup with a potato mash like this in it. I love the idea! Especially love that there's Dijon mustard mixed in with the potato.

lisa (dandysugar) said...

I loved The Wrestler, that song was stuck in my head for awhile afterwards too! What a delicious tasty and healthy soup you have here. I love the potato mash!

Manggy said...

I feel that way about sweet child, but it's after playing Guitar Hero, hee hee :) This soup would hit the spot right about now-- been raining cats and dogs here! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Technicolor Kitchen" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

http://www.foodnrecipes.info

ChichaJo said...

The soup sounds lovely...it was raining here for a bit so maybe it's time to start making these soups! :)

Must watch that movie soon!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I know people loved The Wrestler, but I couldn't get past the bloodiness in the first half hour and I had to turn it off. I could definitely stick with this soup, though; it looks delicious.

Abby said...

That is one gorgeous soup. Green is my fave color!

And I love that song. The movie is on my Netflix list. I have something to look forward to!

Jane-Anne said...

What a fabulous recipe. I love soup, and I adore mash - and two in one bowls is a real treat!

syrie said...

Patricia this is a perfect soup for a Sydney winter. The mash in the soup is an interesting combination.

pam said...

Love the color on the soup! Is it cold there? This looks like wonderful cool weather soup. I have bookmarked practically all of the chicken recipes from the DH mag that did a whole section on chicken!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Susan, I did love it! I was really touched by the movie. And this soup and that movie sound like a great combo, darling! :D

Ashley, I'd never seen it either, but they work so well together!

Lisa, I loved that movie and I love potato mash as well. :)
Tks!

Mark, the only games I play are Super Mario and Tetris. :D
It's cold as hell here too!

Joey, that DH issue is packed with great soup recipes!

Lydia, I understand you, but I really loved the movie. :D
You'll get the soup and I'll get the movie, how's that? :D

Abby, that is a hypnotic shade of green. :D
Hope you like the movie!

Juno, tks for commenting! I love both soup and mash, too, and was surprised by how well they go together!

Syrie, it's pretty cold here in Sao Paulo, too - hope you give this soup a try, sweetie!

Pam, I knew you would love it since it's one of Donna's fabulous recipes! :)
And I have bookmarked that chicken article, too. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails