Friday, September 19, 2008

Aunt Mary Dillon's praline cookies

Aunt Mary Dillon's praline cookies

“Funny Games” opens today here in Sao Paulo. I know it’s a frame by frame remake, like Gus Van Sant’s hugest mistake, and there are some harsh reviews about it going on here, but I don’t care – any movie with Tim Roth and Naomi Watts has my undivided attention. Have you seen this poster? It’s absolutely fantastic.

I can’t say the same about the photo of these cookies, though. It’s OK, but not as beautiful as the other pictures on Martha’s website.
I ended up making the recipe anyway. And the cookies turned out very tasty, even though I found the icing a bit too sweet.

One more lesson learned: don’t judge a recipe by its photograph. :)

Aunt Mary Dillon's praline cookies

Aunt Mary Dillon's praline cookies

Cookies:
1 2/3 cups (234g) all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons (113g/1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups (262g) light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Praline icing:
1 cup (175g) light brown sugar, packed
½ cup (120ml) heavy cream, plus more if necessary
1 cup (140g) sifted confectioners' sugar
1 cup (about 100g) pecan halves, toasted and broken into large pieces

Start with the cookies: preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF; line two large baking sheets with baking paper.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla. Beat until fully combined. Add dry ingredients, and beat on low speed until combined.
Make balls using rounded teaspoons of dough and place onto prepared baking sheets about 5cm (2 in) apart. Bake until firm and barely golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies from pan to wire rack.

Now, make the icing: in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add confectioners' sugar, and whisk until smooth. (If frosting thickens, thin with cream.) Add pecan pieces.

Place cookies on a cooling rack over a lined baking pan – I placed them on a large piece of baking paper on the counter. Spoon about 1 leveled teaspoon praline mixture onto each cookie. Let icing dry before storing the cookies.

Makes 3 dozen – I got 50 cookies

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just saw the picture of the same cookies at Martha's page and I like yours better!
They look really tasty... yum!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the "funny games" poster is cool, I agree and those cookies look super-cute-n-scrumptious!

CookingCourtney said...

Yum! They look delicious.

Deborah said...

I have a hard time not judging a recipe by it's picture! But I think your picture is great, and the cookies sound wonderful!

Anita said...

I think they look perfectly delicious in the photo - and they sound good too! A winner in every way!

Anonymous said...

Really? I like your cookies better, they're thicker and the contrast with the chocolate and pecans is more distinct :)

Lisa said...

Wow, praline cookies! I don't care what they look like, I can tell by the name and the recipe they have to be great. And actually, I think they look really good too.

Peabody said...

Well, I love pralines, so the thought of putting them on a cookie sounds great to me.

Anonymous said...

no, i won't judge the taste by the picture :) you always bake beautiful cookies, so pat yourself on the back!

Emily Rose said...

I used to work in a praline shop here in New Orleans (the birthplace of the pecan praline) - I never thought about putting them on top of a cookie like this though! What a great idea! oh, and I agree, your pictures are much prettier than Martha's.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what you're talking about, because those pictures look incredible! :)

Manggy said...

Pat-ree-see-ya... Ees being too hard on herself ag-ain... Don't bee like mee... ;) They look (and sound) really good, and it's not just the cookies; you styled this well too! Tea for everyone!

Lucy said...

I love your picture!

Lucy said...

I love your picture!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

I think any cookies made form your hands would taste better. But I do agree we often judge the book by the cover or in this case the cookie by the photograph!! I saw these cookies on MS' site but never gave it a thought. Now with your recommendation I'll go for it!

Ann said...

Oooo, these look delicious, Patricia!! Your picture looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I think I love Aunt Mary Dillon! Yum.

Elly said...

These look out of this world. I am definitely saving this recipe. How well do these store? Maybe they will make it into my holiday cookie tins...:)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I absolutely love the picture, Patricia. It's so sweet like you! :)

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Well, to me your photos look wonderful -- and so do the cookies! I love pralines.

Emily said...

I think the cookies look very good. Sorry about the too sweet icing. I hate when that happens.

I really do like praline though.

Chamberlaine Beard said...

Oh. my. goodness.
Delish!
Now I am going to have to run down the street and get a praline.

Chamberlaine Beard said...

oh, and I liked "Funny Games". It was delightfully odd.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Aseneth Luna, thank you!

Amrita, thank you, darling!

Courtney, tks for stopping by!

Deb, I know, me too - I just need to be less shallow. :D

Anita, thank you!

Lorraine, you've made my day. ;)

Lisa, I was drawn by the word "praline", too. :)

Pea, my thoughts exactly. :)

Eliza, thank you, sweetie!

Emily Rose, really? That is so interesting! I have always wanted to go to New Orleans - ever since I saw "Angel Heart", when I was 12 or so. :)

Hannah, thank you!

Mark, I was actually referring to Martha's photos. :)
I'm glad you like my styling, my friend!

Lucy, thank you!

Meeta, you are far too kind, my dear, tks! xoxo

Ann, thank you!

Cathy, I love her too. :)

Elly, I cannot tell because they were gone so fast! Sorry, dear!

Susan, you are sweet, my friend! Thank you!

Lydia, thank you, darling!

Emiline, I think that a little less brown sugar would solve the problem.

Chamberlaine Beard, tks for stopping by - I'm glad you like the cookies. And the movie. I do have a weakness for twisted movies. :)

Helene said...

I think these are next on the list! They look wonderful and sure to appeal to my Southern husband...just the wrod praline starts to make me shiver!!

Thistlemoon said...

What an adorable presentation! They look yummy! :)

Aimée said...

Gotta try these for my annual cookie swap. I love pecans!

Snooky doodle said...

I think your pic is better. These look so chewy and yummy :-)

LyB said...

Well, your photo certainly seems to do them justice! They look so delicious. I would never have thought of putting pralines on cookies, it is such a great idea!

Sarah said...

I have to disagree with you about the pictures--as soon as I saw yours I said, "Woah." They look great! Sorry the frosting was a little sweet.

Anonymous said...

I made this with my Christmas Cookies this year- yum! It's going in the annual cycle.

Related Posts with Thumbnails