Thursday, December 20, 2007

Chocolate chip (sort of) whoppers

Chocolate chip (sort of) whoppers

I made chocottones again this year (gifts to my coworkers) and after baking them for an entire afternoon I had no eggs left in my pantry. Zero. Nada.
I wanted to bake cookies but was too lazy to go to the grocery store… Luckily I found a recipe for a crisp chocolate chip cookie that did not call for eggs.

The dough is super easy to put together and I baked the cookies in a heartbeat. I didn’t want giant cookies, so I used a tablespoon to measure the dough - and still got big cookies (the size of the palm of my hand, a bit less than 3 inches).

The recipe calls for 2 cups (12 ounces) of chocolate chips, but I thought that 9 ounces were enough.

Next time you feel like baking and there are no eggs in your pantry, try these – and feel free to add more chocolate chips if you want.

Chocolate chip (sort of) whoppers

Chocolate chip (sort of) whoppers
from Big Fat Cookies

2 cups (280g) unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks/226g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup (220g) granulated sugar
½ cup (80g) packed dark brown sugar*
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons water
250g (9 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips – I used mini chips

Position a rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 175ºC/350ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed, mix the melted butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth, about 30 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during mixing. Add the flour mixture, mixing just until incorporated. The dough will look crumbly. Mix in the water. The dough will become soft and smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Using an ice-cream scoop or measuring cup with a ¼ cup capacity, scoop mounds of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the cookies at least 3 inches (7.5cm) apart. Gently press the cookies to flatten them slightly, to about ¾ inch (1.9cm) thick (mine were a bit thinner)

Bake the cookies one sheet at a time until the tops are evenly lightly browned and have a few cracks, about 17 minutes. Cool the cookies for 5 minutes on the baking sheets, then use a wide metal spatula to transfer them to a wire rack to cool thoroughly.

The cookies can be stored in a tightly covered container at room temperature for up to 4 days.

* the original recipe calls for ¾ cup light brown sugar and ¾ granulated sugar – since the brown sugar I had at home was dark, I changed the proportions a little bit.

Makes 15 cookies – I used 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie and got 33

Chocolate chip (sort of) whoppers

24 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

Chocolate chips are just so classic for the holidays! Doesn't all this baking just make your kitchen smell fantastic?!

Peter M said...

Fresh, warm, chocolate chip cookies are hard to beat.

Your colleagues are happy campers today!

Lesley said...

Those are really perfect looking cookies. Mine don't tend to comeo ut so perfectly!!

Deborah said...

I have never made an eggless cookie! This will be a great recipe to keep on hand!

Veron said...

hmm...chocolate chipped...my favorite kind of cookie.

JB said...

Patricia,
Becasue I've been doing so much vegan baking lately I have a lot of subsitutes for eggs. The cookies in my latest entry were eggless. The recipe called for eggs, but I used a vegan substitute instead. Let me know if you want me to email you my egg substitutes.
Happy Holidays. JB

Karen Baking Soda said...

thank you so much for this recipe! I've just finished baking choc/penaut chip cookies for school Christmas, and now I had to make some nut and egg free cookies. Took a break from baking and read your post. Now all kids will be enjoying the "same" cookies! Thanks again!

michelle said...

An egg-free cookie? I had no idea! These look yummy, Patricia... I'll definitely be bookmarking this one!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

oh lovely - I have not made choc chip cookies for ages. shame on me. these look great!

linda said...

To me it doesn't sound like something out of the ordinary because in the Netherlands most cookie recipes don't call for eggs.
I love crunchy cookies and chocolate so I'll love your lovely XL cookies!

Anonymous said...

Cookies that are naturally egg-free? Ooh la la. I'm going to have to try these with a gluten-free flour mix.

Ivy said...

Hi Patricia, it seems we have a lot of common, I have a blog in Greek and then translate into English, we have common blog friends, same type of blog (the Greek one) and today I baked a second batch of Greek cookies without egg called memomakarona, meaning honey cookies and a batch of peanut butter cookies with raspberry jam, which I have not posted yet. Looking forward to trying some of your recipes.

Anonymous said...

Lovely photography on these- The lighting makes the cookies seem to "glow"!

test it comm said...

Those cookies look great! Chocolate chip cookies are one of my favorites.

Peabody said...

I will have to save these for when I have no eggs!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

It's great to have a recipe that doesn't require eggs -- but really, Patricia dear, cutting back on the chocolate??? I'm not sure I could do that!

Nic said...

Oh Patricia - you are killing me with all of your beautiful cookies! These are so perfect - I'd be right over if I could!

Katy said...

those look delicious! i never would have known the eggs were missing!

Patricia Scarpin said...

Jenn, you are so right, my dear! I baked some ginger cookies yesterday and the smell was wonderful!

Peter, they were glad, indeed! :)

Lesley, you bake wonderful things, my dear!

Deb, it was my first time too!

Veron, chocolate chip cookies are really good, aren't they?

JB, I'll write to you, sweetie. Thank you for sharing!
Happy Holidays and hugs to you.

Hi, sweetie! It's great to know that - I do hope the kids enjoy the cookies!!

Michelle, do try and let me know, I'd love to hear your opinion about it, dear.

Meeta, go ahead and bake some!

Linda, really? That is interesting!

Sally, good to know the recipe can be useful to you.

Ivy, thank you for stopping by! I'll be checking your blog, too.

Hannah, coming from you that is THE compliment, my dear friend!

Kevin, mine too. :)

Pea, do try them!

Lydia, I had a laugh with you, sweetie. :)

Nic, I'd love to have you over!

Katy, isn't that great?? That book is really good.

Cheryl said...

An egg free cookie is awesome. What a great thing for you to find for us when we are out of them.

Bri said...

These look beautiful and crisp Patricia. I've tried my hand at some eggless cookie recipes, and haven't been able to get the hang of it yet. I think I just need to try out YOUR eggless cookies. They look great, and I cut and pasted it so I can make them soon. I'll let you know how they turn out. Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!

Emily said...

Wow! Those look terrific! Just perfect. You can't go wrong with chocolate chip cookies.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Love to see recipes with no eggs--good to have options and these look delicious :)

Happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

Happy new year Pat!

these cookies look delicious. And i love that they are eggless. I'm always on the lookout for egg-free treats and these will be a great addition to my files.
I'm raring to try them out and I can't thank you enough for sharing the recipe.

Cheers,
chits (tastegoblet)

Related Posts with Thumbnails