Monday, March 5, 2007

Watercress and parmesan flatbread salad

Watercress and parmesan flatbread salad

This dish is a combination of two ideas: my decision to make – and post – more salads and also my first participation in the “Weekend Cookbook Challenge”, which is being hosted by Tami.

My salad is slightly different from the one in the book – I felt the need to change some ingredients – but I was happy with the result. It was refreshing and very tasty.

Watercress and parmesan flatbread salad
adapted from Entertaining

200g watercress leaves
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 oranges, peeled and segmented
50-75g (½ – 3/4 cup) shaved parmesan cheese
cracked black pepper

Parmesan flatbread:
2 large pita breads – you can use lavash bread, if you wish
35g (1/3 cup) finely grated parmesan cheese
60ml (¼ cup) olive oil

Combine the watercress, balsamic vinegar, oranges, parmesan and pepper in a bowl.
To make the parmesan flatbread, cut the pita breads in half, lengthwise, and then into strips. Combine the parmesan and oil, and brush over on side of the bread strips. Place under a preheated hot grill (broiler) and cook for 1 minute or until golden.
Cross 4 bread strips on each plate. Top with the watercress and serve.

Serves 4 as a starter or as a salad with a char-grilled meat or fish mean meal.

8 comments:

Gattina Cheung said...

I can tell your salad composed of multi-layers of different textures and flavor! Really fantastic!
You may have know Chinese luuuuuuuve watercress, we always cook it though. I tasted it raw once, that peppery-flavor... wow!

Anonymous said...

That recipe will find its way onto my table for sure!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

I like the different textures going on in this dish -- crunchy, sharp, smooth. Very appealing, Patricia!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

An early jump into Spring! Lovely looking salad. Really like all the contrasts going on with flavor and texture and color!

Freya said...

Patricia, your food looks as delicious as always!

Anonymous said...

Looks good! I can eat this as a "salad" sandwich with that flatbread!

Anh said...

This looks really good. I have Donna's book, too but haven't tried much from it.

Patricia Scarpin said...

Gattina, I didn't know that about Chinese people! I love watercress, too, dear!

Shawnda, I hope you like it!

Lydia, thank you! Donna Hay is always guarantee of success. ;)

Tanna, thank you - you're right, lots of different things going on!

Freya, you are so adorable! xx

Sher, I'm a huge fan of all those things, too - salads are important and you've posted many interesting recipes lately!

Tigerfish, tks for all the lovely comments! And you just gave me a wonderful idea. ;)

Anh, tks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails