Friday, March 2, 2007

Apple coffee cake

Apple coffee cake

Joao and I were watching TV during Carnival and the following dialogue took place:
“I want to cook something.”
“But we’ve already eaten.”
“I know, so maybe I’ll bake something. Maybe a cake.”
“Sure, honey, if you feel like it, go ahead”

I searched for something to inspire me and found a single apple in the fridge, so “lonely”, begging to be used – it was going to become a smoothie for Joao’s breakfast the next morning anyway. So I made this delicious cake, full of cinnamon and sugar on top.

I baked the cake in a removable bottom pan and it was easier to unmold it without ruining the apple topping.
Dip the slices in cold water containing lemon or lime juice to prevent browning.

I had a huge slice, hot from the oven, and it was hard not to devour the whole thing at once – it wouldn’t have been good to me to eat more, since it was 1:10am… :)

Apple coffee cake
from Sweet Food

Cake:
115g (½ cup) unsalted butter
150g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
210g (1 ½ cups) self-rising flour, sifted
185g (3/4 cup) vanilla yogurt – I used plain skim yogurt

Topping:
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced – I used one Fuji apple
35g (2 ½ tablespoons) unsalted butter
50g (¼ cup) sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Pre-heat the oven to 175ºC/350ºF. Grease a deep, 20cm round cake pan and line the bottom with waxed paper.

For the cake: beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Gradually add the beaten egg, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract.
Fold in the flour, then the yogurt, and stir until smooth. Spoon the batter into prepared pan and smooth the surface.
Arrange the apple slices evenly over the mixture in a circular pattern, starting in the center. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and the sugar (the topping ingredients). Melt the butter and drizzle over the top.
Bake for 1 hour or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake. Leave in the pan for 30 minutes before unmolding – set on a wire track to cool.
If desired, combine a little extra sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples.

Serves 8-10.

21 comments:

Unknown said...

This is my kind of cake.

I want it. I come here for my dose of sweet things and I am never disappointed.

Anonymous said...

lovely cake. Apple and cinammon, perfect combination!

Linda said...

OMG this look sooooo delicious. it makes me wish I was sitting in a screened-in porch overlooking a beautiful farm or country side, with the most delicious cup of coffee, perched next to this cake... ahh what a life it would be :)

i can't wait to try this!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Warm apple cake is my absolute favorite. It always tastes best right from the oven!

Helene said...

Oh man....can you imagine that warm witha scoop of vanilla ice cream or caramel? I can !! Putting it on my to try list!

Anonymous said...

my mouth waters looking at your cake pictures :D sometimes i do the same thing like you, i bake on a whim or if i'm bored!

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Patricia, this is so lovely, the topping is such a gorgeous red. The cake just is so inviting, ice cream and coffee are just so perfect. I'd be happy with this cake and coffee in your kitchen.

Toni said...

Fresh baked, warm from the oven...what more could I ask for? Pass me a slice!

Gattina Cheung said...

I know how hard it was NOT to finish the whole cake! My gosh, it's soooo tender and moist! I've stopped baking cake for a while, if I pick it up again, Pat, you must be my reason :D

Patricia Scarpin said...

Mimi, you're so sweet, my dear. I forgot to comment on your lovely asparagus soup, it's already printed and filed on my "to try" folder, waiting for the winter to come.

Veron, I agree with you 100%!

Linda, tks, dear! When you buy that country house, can I come over? I promise I'll bake and do all the dishes. ;)

Lydia, I agree with you - I love baked goods warm, too!

Helene, don't tempt me! Caramel would go great, and so would ice-cream. Dangerous combination. :)

Eliza, thank you! I'm glad to have you here!
Baking is the best therapy!

Tanna, I'd be honored to have you in my kitchen.

Toni, help yourself! :)

Gattina, you are such a wonderful baker/cook I'm sure whatever you decide to make will be amazing.

Sher, a smoothie is just a smoothie, right? lol

Thank you all for the lovely words!

Kirsten said...

Soo yummy looking. It looks moist and sweet, but certainly not so sweet that I wouldn't want to eat with a cup of coffee for breakfast.

Really good looking cake. :)

Anonymous said...

I love that urge for the need to bake something... the best things come from that! What a great use of a lonely apple. Looks so good!

T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

This came out beautifully - so tall and scrumptious looking! I'm sure there's an extra apple in my refrigerator. What is Caster Sugar? Is that different from granulated sugar?

Anonymous said...

That cake looks insanely good! I looked at that last photo with the fluffy crumb and swooned!

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! And the conversation snippet made me laugh because the hubby and I also have discussions like that. He thinks it's wierd how I'll be sitting watching TV and all of a sudden have an intense urge to bake. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

Susan from Food Blogga said...

What a lovely cake this is Patricia. Much better use of the apple than in a smoothie. ;)

I have a question (since I'm not an avid baker): Do you find the skim yogurt works well in baking? I wasn't sure if you needed to have a higher fat content that's in regular. You're such a talented baker, I figured you'd know. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Lovely looking cake...love apple cake :) And the smell is amazing while baking...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Kirsten, thank you! I love baking with yogurt, it gives extra moisture to breads, cakes and muffins.

Kristen, good to know you feel the same way sometimes! :)

T.W., caster sugar is extra fine sugar, but I think you can use granulated here without any problems.

Ellie, thank you, dear!

Ari, good to know I'm not alone! :)

Susan, I've used skim yogurt several times and haven't had any problems so far - since I'm always on a diet, it's the kind of yogurt you'll find in my fridge. :)
And thank you for the lovely words, you are so generous!

Joey, you're right - the smell is amazing!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

Thanks Patricia! I'll definitely try it then.

Anonymous said...

yum! apple cakes! this looks awesome :)

¿Gusta Usted? said...

Patricia, he estado viendo tus blogs y estoy absolutamente impresionada por la calidad de tus blogs y como los organizas. Te felicito! Haces palidecer a los demás =)

Ya estás en mis favoritos Muchas gracias por compartir tantas exquisiteses! Saludos desde México!

Related Posts with Thumbnails